Monday, August 4, 2008

Broken Heart in North Dakota

Well, I am currently sitting in the library waiting to find out if I qualify for the loan I just applied for from the bank. Things changed at work and I am suppose to leave today instead of tomorrow...but I don't currently have the money to pay for gas. (I'm still waiting for a check to clear at midnight tonight) Anyways, I thought I would do another post in the mean time.

Yesterday as I was driving back to the park after work I past some 'roadkill' and it looked interesting so I backed up to see what it was. (I was on a country road so backing up was ok) It turned out to be a Coyote pup and he was still alive. He looked so sad and in pain. He was just laying there breathing really hard. I tried calling dad and mom with no answer then tried Lynny's where she reminded me that they were in church. Dad eventually got back to me and talk to me about him. I wanted to pick him up and try to find a vet to take him to or something but I was afraid to move him and make things worse. I tried describing his injuries to dad and he said it didn't sound like he was going to make it and that the vet would probably just put him down anyways. I also have no money (as mentioned earlier) to pay for the vet bill. Dad reminded me that that would happen. I didn't even think about the fact I would have to pay. So he suggested that I move him off the road and find some shade for him. I very gently did so but unfortunately there was absolutely no shade for the little fellow. Luckily it was pretty over cast so it wasn't to hot. He didn't have much strength, obviously, he was hit by a car, but he did move around a very little bit. It was so sad. I probably spent 30-45 minutes with him before I ended up leaving him. I really wish he had passed away when I was there with him but instead I have no idea how long he laid there suffering. For any of you who might not be a gun lover, this would have been a perfect time to have had my .22 on me to help put him out of his misery, but unfortunately I didn't. The whole situation just broke my heart. I ended up naming him Boris!

Don't worry, the fluid mark in the dirt by his head is not body fluid. I tried pouring a little water by his snout to see if he would react to it and then to get him to drink. He didn't even flinch =(


4 comments:

Lyndsay Detro said...

Oh, poor little Boris!! I'm glad you finally got ahold of dad. You're so awesome for caring enough to watch out for the little guy. What a guy you are!!!!!

And sorry about your situation with the loan and needing to leave, etc. Is there anything we can do to help??????

Wilson Family said...

oh dear that would have been very sad... at least you did what you could have and most people wouldn't have even stopped...

huh, i obviously haven't talked to you in a while since i didn't know you were done already and whatever else is going on...need to fix that!

Clay and Katy said...

um that is very sad...even more sad looking at those photos. hope you get your finances worked out and make it home safely. see you soon!

yomariellanos said...

what happen with those dogs you sick person