Sunday, June 12, 2011

North Dakota 2011 Update

So I have been in North Dakota now for nearly a month.  However, until today I have not been able to start my actual research.  The rain and flooding out here has been INSANE (I'll try to get some pictures of the flooding later) and has made it really impossible to get to any of my study sites.  The flooding also prevented our interns (Jesse and Jill) from getting out here when they were originally suppose too.  Then in typical Steve fashion I got sick which put me out of commission for about a week.  Then, as I mentioned, today I was able to get out into the field and get my first day of work in.  We hiked about 7 miles through thigh high grass along a stretch of river looking for river otter sign.  Unfortunately we found VERY LITTLE which does not bode well for me.

For the past 8 months I have been wearing my 'new' hiking boots almost everywhere to try to break them in for this summer since I knew I would be doing a lot of hiking.  I thought I had them pretty well broken in until about 2 hours into our hike today...

First, I apologize for the nasty foot picture.  I HATE feet.  I think they are disgusting and ugly so I typically wouldn't put a picture like this up.  And after all of that you can't really get a good idea what the back of my heels look like based on this picture.  I have two of the biggest and most painful blisters, well busted open blisters, that I ever have had.  Heres hoping they heal soon because I have A LOT more hiking to do this summer!

These next pictures are from a trip Vanessa (the other grad student up here with me) and I took to Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  VERY pretty place in western ND (part of the Bad Lands).

  

 


          
Vanessa and me in the park.

Here is a video of Jesse trying to catch a carp (BIG nasty fish) that were everywhere along the river we were walking today.  I have challenged him to catch one by hand by the end of the summer!!

4 comments:

the Mom said...

I'm assuming that you took those buffalo pictures just for *me*! My most favorite animal. :) I hope you'll keep the updates coming! It's so nice to be able to see what you're doing. XOXO

Clay and Katy said...

Yay...you are alive! Sorry you got sick and that you now have ripped up feet :(. Hope they heal soon! But I loved your pictures of your little trip! Beautiful out there!

Wilson Family said...

Lovely pictures! Lovely blisters, lovely landscape, lovely animals. Hope you are at least having some fun!!!

Lyndsay Detro said...

I'm with Katy, Yay ... you are alive!! I'm glad for the update and to see some of the stuff you've been doing. Keep the posts coming. I'm SO sorry about your feet. That looks SO painful! Hopefully they heal quickly.

I LOVED the buffalo pictures. VERY cool!

I didn't realize you were getting all the flooding. Holy cow!! I feel so out of touch with the news right now. Be safe!!