Monday, June 27, 2011

Update/Vote

First thing- at the beginning of the summer I decided to grow my hair out since I never have before (minus the years when I was younger and wore a freakin mushroom on my head.  Thanks mom and dad :} evidence can be seen in my school pictures...)  anyways, so I thought I would grow it out until our family reunion this summer.  Perhaps grow a mullet so I could be MacGyver for halloween!!  The picture below is of my hair (and beard) after a month of growth.  


I COULDN'T STAND IT.  It was such a pain in the butt.  I woke up every morning with this weird shape formed into the side of my head.  It was hot and itchy and I was constantly fearing I had ticks hiding somewhere in that jungle.  So....

 
I cut it!  Perhaps I have no will power to see my goal out to the end but man is it nicer and more convenient!  (except for the fact that [mom dont read this part] right after I cut my hair I forgot my hat and got a really bad sun burn on the top of my head.  Apparently hair is useful for other things such as a sun shield)  Anyways, I thought I would put it to a vote.  Do people like the hair longer or shorter?  I personally think I look completely different in the two pictures.  Thoughts?

I also decided to add a new needed "accessory" to my wardrobe.  Suspenders.  I have been walking around in some REALLY WET grass and the water that accumulates on my pants has been pulling my pants down, even with a belt, and been making it hard to walk around so I figured the added support would help.  I couldn't decide if I looked more like a summer time santa or a little lumber jack :)  But as it turns out, since I bought the suspenders the grass has been completely dry.  Go figure.  So I haven't been able to tell if they actually help out or not. I'm sure by the end of the summer I will have my chance again.

This is a picture to show you how high and obnoxious some of the grass we have to hike through.  This one is of me.

The one below is of Jesse my research assistant. 


Speaking of Jesse, here is a picture of him and Jill (Vanessa's research assistant)


Jesse and me eating some hot dogs on a non field day.

Herd of wild pronghorn.



A picture of a cliff I climbed (not up the face of the cliff) as I was walking the river bank.

And another

I tried to get a picture of this muskrat swimming in the water.  I couldn't get very close.

These last two are just some random pictures I found on my phone.  From when I visited kelly before I came out to ND.


4 comments:

Lyndsay Detro said...

Okay, this post cracked me up. First of all, I LOVED the idea of you being MacGuyver for Halloween, but you DEFINITELY look better with less hair - at least without the beard. I do think I like your hair a little bit longer. But I would definitely be worried about ticks with all that grass (jungle) you have to walk around in. Holy cow!!

Love the suspenders. Definitely thinking lumberjack and not santa.

That was a cool cliff you got pictures of. And I loved seeing pictures of the people you're working with. Thank you!

Clay and Katy said...

Definitely short! Looks pretty nice out there (minus all the awful tall grass)! Hope you arent in danger with all the flooding going on out there. Cool suspenders :)

Wilson Family said...

well, i really liked it long actually. and of course you know that i am NOT referring to the facial hair since i made you shave that stupid beard off when you came to my house. the short hair made you look like all those other guys who are loosing their hair so they just shave it off. so, i understand it is more convenient while out in the wilderness. but maybe when you head back to school you could grow it out again cause it looks good and you haven't lost your hair yet.
loved the cross between summer santa and lumber jack comment.
great pictures thank you... especially those last two beauties ;) cute naked squishy baby :)

the Mom said...

1) HATE the facial hair. It's not attractive on ANYONE. HATE it. And I like your hair short.

2) That "suspenders" picture made me laugh! If I didn't know it was you, I wouldn't have known it was you. Great idea, though!

3) I think you're VERY brave for wading through all of that tall grass. Not fun!

4) Keep the pictures and updates coming!