Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Stuff

So after getting home last week from my trip out west and from helping Kelly plant her Topsy Tervy garden I got real excited to start my own garden (since it is looking like I will be here for a while...) I actually started the night I got back from Kelly's. It was a lot of work. I had to shave the top layer of grass off of the ground, build a box to put around the garden area, till the ground by hand (which was solid clay), and then mix in some Miracle Gro soil to help improve the soil for my vegetables.

This is a picture of the Topsy Tervy that Kelly and I got for mom for mothers day. It was a HUGE pain in the butt trying to put it up, first off because I was doing it by myself, and secondly because it was so freakin heavy once all of the dirt was in it. The tomato plants aren't looking all that great as of yet so we'll see what happens over the next few weeks....


A couple views of the garden box. It is located back behind the swing set by the tree line. I actually ended up getting in trouble for putting it there. I was trying to put it right near the property line but I guess I got my angle off and it ended up being a few inches over the property line. The guy who owns that land (the land that includes the tree line) came over and I had a little chat with him. Ok, so I understand I messed up and part of it IS on his land. (but for the record, which I know doesn't mean anything, it still is on his land, he's never on this side of the tree line. It's not like he pulls out a lawn chair and kicks back right there) But he said since I already had everything planted that I could just leave it where it was but he said "Next year I want you to take it out and put the grass back like it was". He wasn't being the nicest guy at this point so I told him that I WASN'T going to take it out and replace the grass. I would be more then happy to move it off his land but he didn't have the right to tell me to take the whole thing out. I wasn't in the mood to be bullied around so I wasn't having it. He then started getting after me because our mower guys mow back to the tree line and he said that they cut it shorter then what he cuts it. Mom and Dad said that in the whole 2-3 years they have lived here they have never seen him behind the tree line to mow once. And that was the whole reason he wanted the garden moved, so he could get his mower back there (which there still is plenty of room).....
I probably shouldn't have but I then asked him about one of his trees that was starting to grow over into our property and cover my garden. I asked if he ever trimmed his trees back.... The story goes on a little longer but you get the idea. So, I'm leaving my garden where it is until next year when I'll gladly move it back and LEAVE my garden in!
Oh the drama of a soul who loves to garden...


This is just a close up of some of the plants I put in. On the left are strawberries. I'm very curious to see how they turn out. I've never done strawberries before so we'll see. Then there is a lone peper plant and then the two on the right are two more tomato plants. I also planted some green beans, corn, zucchini, and watermelon. Heres a hopin!



These are a couple pictures with baby Steve from when I babysat him when I was in Utah.


These are two of my friends (Brooke and Heather) that I met up with in Provo.



This is my golfing buddy Forbis (the one I go on all of my winter golfing trips with) We did a round in Utah since we missed our big trip this winter.

I also have discovered that I am pretty darn good at remembering to take my camera with me on trips, however, I am horrible at remembering to use it. That is why I do not have any pictures from my stop in Colorado or from when I was at Lynny's.

3 comments:

Wilson Family said...

So that sounds like quite the exchange we had going on there...
I'm confused...was it with Ali's dad?? such drama over probably a few inches...

the Mom said...

No, it was the guy whose house is hidden behind the trees, to the left of the house directly behind us, if you're looking off of our deck. Just about every year, he throws a neighborhood barbecue. I'm guessing we won't be invited anymore... Love the pics of you with Baby Steve, Stevie! :}

Lyndsay Detro said...

Wow ... that does sound like quite the exchange. I'm not saying I'm siding with this guy, but Jonah has several stories of people who have "lost" part of their property b/c people have built fences, etc. on their land and they have not said anything. Okay, that probably didn't make sense, you'll have to ask Jonah to explain. Crazy stuff!! Love the garden, though. It definitely looks like you worked hard!! Can't wait to see the fruits of your labor. Did you hear from Frostburg????