Friday, January 29, 2010

SNORKELING

Ok, so here are some of the pictures that I took while snorkeling (some are from Tylers camera as well). They really did not turn out all that great. I'm not sure why I was having such high hopes for a disposable, underwater camera....

And I'm not sure who knows this or not, but I actually am really afraid of the ocean and deep water, such as where I went snorkeling. It took me quite sometime to get warmed up enough to move out away from the beach but once I did I was very glad that I did it. There were a couple times when I might have freaked out a little bit but I was able to overcome that and have a GREAT time!!

I was trying to hold myself down under the water for the picture, but for some reason, as you can see in the picture, my butt kept floating up towards the top and I couldn't get into a normal looking position. Thats why this one looks strange =}

Oh, I forgot to mention that last semester when I went on this cruise I was taking an Ichthyology class (the study of fish) so it was pretty cool to see a bunch of the fish that I had been studying/dissecting. I might try to tell you what some of these fish are but who knows if I'm right or not. It turns out that my weakest part of the class was fish identification, although I ended up with an A in the class!!!

I think this was an Eagle Ray. It waS HUGE. It swam so gracefully through the water but it was extremely hard to keep up with.


This, I believe was a moray eel. This thing scared the crud out of me. It gave me flashbacks of Little Mermaid nightmares with the twin eels that worked for Ursula. It looked just like them. Even though this thing scared me to death I followed it for a little bit until it went under a huge hunk of corral. Once it disappeared I stayed by the corral it went under for sometime, partly wanting to see it gain and partly not wanting to turn my back on it thinking it was going to attack me or something. Man it gave me the willies...


These were just some different stingrays and skates. I really enjoyed finding these guys. If you can see in the first picture he tried burying himself in the sand.

I'm not even going to try to identify the rest of these. We'll just call them "colorful fishes"







No comments: